Thursday, July 23, 2009

More Washington FUN

On our second day in the city we went to the Library of Congress but I couldn't make it through the metal detector. They had me take out my cell, then my watch, then my belt with buckle, then my change & keys & pocket knife,  WHOA!!!! He's got a knife!!! You can't bring a knife in here. We got a knife here!!! Don't most American men carry a small folding pocket knife? I've carried one for about all my working life and DUH evidently I still carry it today. It was given to me by a friend and co-worker many years ago and it has a lot of sentimental value, so I'm glad there was no mention of takin' it. In fact it was the second knife that this fellow gave me, seeing I was carrying the first knife he gave me he asked, "What are you carrying that for?" Cause you gave it to me! Turns out it was a collectors item so he gave another knife to carry and that's the one I carry today.

So I didn't get to see the Library of Congress. I was a security risk to the books I guess. Sooo we changed our itinerary for the day, since I was to blame for 'Carrying the Knife' and went to the Zoo instead. After Several Metro changes and a short walk we found the Zoo. We saw the Pandas, then the elephants and lots of other animals. Then the previous days walkin' started weighin' on us so we called it a day and went back to camp early, arrived home about 5:30.

The next day we were back, with no 'Bad Knife' to tour the Capitol building. Guess what? We couldn't go in cause we had peanut butter & jelly sandwiches & water. Not my fault this time!! Guess who sat outside for 2 hours eating PB&J, pretzels, cookies & water - Yours Truly. After the girls came out they ate and we went on to tour the Supreme Court then back to the Museum of Natural History then the Air & Space Museum.

The strange thing is all the other buildings we went in have metal detectors and I never had to remove anything from my person to proceed through with no alarm. After the first incidence I felt bad and moved my knife to the backpack, which Linda, unknowingly, carried through the detectors at the DC police Station in the Old Post Office.

Well we've all had enough DC for now so we say Goodbye. Time for some R&R.

No pics to post right now. I'll post some when I get a better connection.

Our four nights here dry-camping has been a little warm at night but we've had no power concerns with the two batteries and done no recharging over the four nights. Also had a small problem with our camera as we couldn't recharge our camera's batteries with no AC power. The charger we have is a trickle charger and will charge 4 batteries over 14 hours.

That's all for today. Hope to see ya' down the road as we're,

Dancin' on the Wind.

No comments: